Monday, January 30, 2012

Any independent bookstore owners available for comment? Or book lovers?

I just opened a small bookstore, small two room house across from our antique mall and tea room. Due to size, I'm limited on space. I have approximately 5,000 in my inventory to include fiction and non-fiction. I have a bit of everything. I've never personally cared for fiction and have always purchased non-fiction. I am running out of space for my non-fiction and want to be able to stock more of it. I'm considering doing away with my romance section and possibly sci-fi, but definitely romance. My reason is: currently my romance takes up one whole wall. It seems that most are the older, historical romances. I have Nora Roberts, Danielle Steel, Debbie McComber, and many others. I can buy these and anyone else can for as little as .10 at garage sales upward to .50 at thrift stores and libraries. Why would anyone want to pay almost 4.00 for a used book when they are abundant at much lower prices? I personally wouldn't. Yes half price is better than the new, but you get my point. If I got rid of them, I'd free up some much wanted space for more non-fiction books. I have about 500 mystery books which I'm thinking I should keep. They are all in very good to like new condition and many popular authors. I want to keep my westerns and general literature (classics and larger books.) Wondering if sci-fi is very popular these days. Again, I just opened up this month and wonder if it would be a mistake to make this change. Oh, and I'm keeping my children's books and want to build that inventory. Also keeping my christian fiction, paranormal romance. I would appreciate your comments.Any independent bookstore owners available for comment? Or book lovers?
I would get rid of the romance. They sell, but not if they're available somewhere cheaper. I'd cut down the romance to less popular ones that aren't available in millions at Goodwill. It really depends on where you are located and who your primary customers are. If you don't get alot of men, sci-fi could easily go. If you don't have many children coming in, cut back there. If you have alot of middleaged women, stock the best selling fiction, christian, and romance.

Just pay attention to what kind of people come in most often, and what they buy.Any independent bookstore owners available for comment? Or book lovers?
I like fiction the best. if it's a small bookstore i think that many people would have my same opinion. People who want nonfiction will probably be less likely to go to a store like that, but that's just my opinion. I'm not really a businessman.

I like scifi, as long as it's good. Fantasy scifi is more my thing, so there's the answer to your question.

No comments:

Post a Comment