Monday, January 30, 2012

Wicca introduction for a Christian?

I picked up a copy of Elements of Witchcraft by Ellen Dugan and really enjoyed it.



I really like the religious concepts of Wicca, but I am trying to take it slowly. I was brought up Christian so some of the beliefs are quite different than I am used to.



I went to the bookstore and was overwhelmed by the amount of books in the New Age section. I don't know who is a reliable author and who is not.



I was hoping that I could find some books that are Christian to Wicca sensitive if that's at all possible.



I was told Cunningham is a good place to look. I thought about looking at Silver Ravenwolf but I've seen lots of general negativity towards her, calling her wishy-washy among other things.



Thanks in advance for your help. :)



And please, only respond if you have book suggestions that match what I am looking for. Otherwise you are wasting my time and yours.Wicca introduction for a Christian?
Try Books by Laurie Cabot and Scott Cunningham. They are the ones that started me on my path.
Avoid pretty much anything published by Llewellyn, especially anything published by them after 1985. After 1985, it seemed anyone who wrote anything that resembled Wicca was published by them.. You heard right about Ravenwolf. Cunningham is good but its like reading the Elementary version of a text. His books, however, are well researched and a good place to start.



I don't why people keep suggesting "Drawing Down the Moon'. Its boring and only talks about the history of Wicca.



Try the "Witches Bible Compleat" by Janet %26amp; Stewart Farrar, for the real meat.Wicca introduction for a Christian?
Cunningham's 'solitary' book is a good starter book, but look for one called 'beginner wicca' by amber K. Its a very good intro book for someone not already into the pagan/wicca scene. I'm sure there are several others that deal with christian wicca and transitioning. There are also 'dummies' books on wicca that are very basic. Look for the older more established authors. There are way too many books being put out nowadays just for making money.



good luck and many blessings
Well...aside from Cunningham (whose Wicca: Guide for the Solitary Practitioner book I couldn't put down), I would suggest The Complete Idiots Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft (a legitimate book). Uses common sense terminology, pretty much spells everything out for you, has tips, helpful pointers, etc...This was one of the first books I bought.



I also read the book "Wicca's Charm", although written from a Christian's point of view, it paints Wiccans in a good light. A good read.Wicca introduction for a Christian?
If you are looking for a book that kind of ties Christianity to Paganism (sorry, but I don't know any that are specifically tied to Wicca), try "Christianity: The Origins of a Pagan Religion" by Philippe Walter. It may help to create parallels between what you already know, and your new-found knowledge of Wicca.
Scott Cunningham's:

Wicca, A guide for the solitary practitioner

Is the most recommended guide

Silver Ravenwolf's stuff, Is considered a "fluffy bunny" %26amp; geared for teen's, but I don't trash her as bad as some people do. It still paints pagans in a good light.

)O(
I perfer reading cunningham as someone else pointed out. . . out of the few different books I've read his are the best...
It's rather old, and not exclusively wiccan, but I suggest you check out Drawing Down The Moon. I bought it years ago and love it! It's an excellent resource though (again) it's a bit old.
Ravenwolf is awful. Her information is bad, and she says very hateful things about Christianity. She's obnoxious.



Cunningham is a good place to start. Thea Sabin and Deborah Lipp are also authors I highly recommend for beginners.



I'm not aware of any books written specifically for people coming from a Christian background, and I probably wouldn't recommend them if I did. We don't evangelize. If you're interested in Wicca, we're happy to tell you about it, but we don't try to convince people to join. If you believe in Christianity, you shouldn't be looking at Wicca. If you're not sure what you believe, then reading up on other faiths may help you decide, but in the end it should be you who decides what religion is for you. If Wicca has to be sugar-coated so as not to offend Christian sensibilities, then it's not an honest portrayal of Wicca.



I have a sizable list of reviewed books here: http://wicca.timerift.net/books.shtml. This includes both books I recommend and books you should stay away from (and why.)
1) Ignore the fundies saying you鈥檒l go to hell and are opening yourself up to demons. We don鈥檛 believe in either.

2) Get the book: Wicca, a Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham (Amazon.com used books is a great resource)

3) Avoid Silver Ravenwolf, DJ Conway and most Llewellyn books

4) Do NOT pay for lessons over the internet. You can鈥檛 ask for references. Do NOT give out personal information to anyone over the internet. Get a PO Box.

5) www.witchvox.com http://wicca.timerift.net

6) Learn and keep learning about various paths in paganism.

7) get the book: "Drawing Down the Moon" by Margo Adler (an older book that's a little dated, especially concerning Asatru but a good resource) - it gives an overview on a lot of pagan traditions.
Your best source for information is from Gnosis Magazine Here is a link to get back issues:



http://www.fieldsbooks.com/cgi-bin/field鈥?/a>

Gnosis is friendly to the idea of Wicca. They existed to promote groups like Wicca. So you can be sure that you are going to get a truthful account of the history of the organization.



When I was young every one knew the Wicca was a recent invention. Now followers actually think that it is ancient. The article in the issue that I provided you the link to will trace the history and development of the group but you will have to order it on line.



As a person that was a leader in a community of a New Age/Pagan group and a Christian one I can tell you that the two are not compatible. Both were large communities with an excess of 50 members in our community. In each case I was selected because I was considered knowledgeable enough to answer to our governing body for the actions of the community. I have performed hundreds of Occult rituals as well as officiating at Worship of God in Christian prayer services. As you become more deeply involved it will slowly be reveled that true freedom is found by separating yourself from morality (Right and Wrong) Which is the opposite conclusion from the Judeo/Christian perspective.



The perspectives of these groups are interesting but will lead you into a spiritual dead end. After awhile you will be wishing that you didn't get involved. Save yourself the trouble or remember my words.
I see some people posted not to read anything by the publishing company Llewellyn, but Llewellyn has many good books, and I ask you to remember the things printed are written by the authors, not by the publishing company. I find that Llewellyn prints many good books.



I suggest, aside from books by Scott Cunningham:

Wicca: The Complete Craft by DJ Conway (a little warning, Conway bashes Christians a bit, and can get a little sarcastic, but the information in her book is very good and solid.)

any books by Edain McCoy

DRAWING DOWN THE MOON BY MARGOT ADLER. This is the best book you can read about modern Pagan religions. Don't expect to get a bunch of spells and rituals from it, though. It's exclusively about history and how Paganism is today. It's very interesting, and extremely informative.



and, like everyone else has said, AVOID books by Silver Ravenwolf. All she does is publish a bunch of crap for the money. Her books aren't even good for the most basic of information.
A christian wouldn't crave witch craft.



A former Christian might. Have you look at the New Age crap section at your local Barnes %26amp; Noble. They have a bunch of books there making up charts and all that hoooey.
Smack him across the head with a really nice stick.
Wicca is of satan.

No comments:

Post a Comment