Sunday, February 12, 2012

Atheists: what is the reaction you get from your friends when you tell them you are athiest?

I am an athiest myself in the heart of Alabama. Religion is such a big deal down here its not even funny. Luckily, i live in the suburbs but if you go about 30 minutes north,south,east, or west, all you see is Christian bookstores and even 18 wheelers saying things like Jesus loves you. A lot of my teenage friends go to church frequently and they ask me to come join them. I tell them that I do not believe the same things they do and they either:go ape **** or ask me questions like how do you think we got here. As a matter of fact, heres a conversation between a friend and I today



Friend: Being gay is a sin

Me: I thought your God loved everybody

Friend: It says in the bible that we should love the opposite sex and not the same so they're going to hell

Me: Whatever I dont even believe that there is a hell

Friend: *gasp!* well how do you think we got here

Me: *points to her biology book* We'll study evolution later in the year.

Another person: So you think we evolved from monkeys?

Friend: Yeah! Adam and eve makes much more sense because they reproduced and it's just been a chain and now the population is in the billions!

Me: You got that from the bible..who wrote the bible? Where's your evidence that adam and eve ever existed?

Friend: God wrote it!



Yeah, this girl used to be convinced that the sun was a planet.Atheists: what is the reaction you get from your friends when you tell them you are athiest?
Evolution doesn't even say we're from monkeys. Monkeys, humans and apes have a common ancestor. In fact, humans are a type of ape. Your friend is ignorant. Hope she pays attention in class.



I'll mention the most interesting experience. I had a roommate in college for Freshman year - a Christian. When she found out I was an atheist she moved out. Her friends later came by and told me that she and her other friends thought I was the devil and was making potions in my room for them.



O___O
I am so glad that I've never had friends who were strongly religious. I'd probably laugh at that conversation. Luckily, when I was at school and even now where I work, the majority of us are either atheists or don't feel the need to shove their beliefs down the rest of our throats.Atheists: what is the reaction you get from your friends when you tell them you are athiest?
Where I live there are few theists
i know your question is for atheist but listen up.

no one can force you in believing in god/jesus

me myself im a Christian because i believe there is a higher power in life

and that we didnt evolve from apes.

But religion is based on faith and trust and hope.

some people want facts and they dont believe untill they see and i respect that and im not going to judge you.

my friend told me the other day that shes an atheist i could tell she was scared and nervous on telling me because she knows im a Christian but still love her no matter what, and when she told me i just said "thats great, good for you" i honestly didnt know what to say but yeah.Atheists: what is the reaction you get from your friends when you tell them you are athiest?
well where i live (new zealand) i have never met any1 who cares about the religion of a person there might be a few fanatics out there but if i walked into a church and yelled i am atheist the reaction would be

Rev:um ok good for you well can we carry on with our sermon now

rest of church:yeah

me: sure

but that's just what i know in my life
I, myself am a Christian and I believe everyone has a right to believe in whatever they like. I do have friends that are atheist and I respect them just as I respect my other friends. We all have a different opinion on different things, just keep in mind to treat people how you want to be treated. You have the right to believe whatever you like. Good luck!
Since I'm not Atheist, I cant say how my friends react to it. But I can say it seems as though your friends who say these things could benefit from being reminded that the God they believe in created us with free will. Free will to believe or not to believe or not to believe and worship who or what we chose.



Also, as far as evolution / creation and Adam and Eve go... "Friend: Yeah! Adam and eve makes much more sense because they reproduced and it's just been a chain and now the population is in the billions! "



Yea, a woman being created from the rib of a man makes more sense than evolution happening as a reaction to changes in lifestyle, learning, climate, migration, etc, etc, etc ? It's been proven that men and women have the same number of ribs and that skeletal abnormalities are common in both sexes, including differently shaped bones, more or less bones, vestigial organs, muscles that some people have and others dont, such as a muscle on the front of the calf that is suspected of being a throwback to walking on all fours.



Sure, the first man and woman reproduced and eventually created our current 6.5 mil world population, that makes sense. But whose to say they Adam and Eve weren't evolved from primates?



As far as believing the bible because God wrote it....

I studied weekly for about 5 months with some Jehovah's Witnesses a couple years ago. My studies with them tell me that from such and such date, through current times, Satan has been more in charge than God (Jehovah), this is where they claim all the evil, pain, sorrow, natural disasters come from. If that were reversed we would supposedly live in utopia. The bible was supposedly written between such and such dates, cant remember now. So from this info, I came to the conclusion that the bible, from front to end was written during the time when Satan has been 'in charge'. I told them of my conclusion and verified I was correct, they said I was. So I wonder how do we know that the bible wasn't written by the Devil (assuming I believed in 'him'). I'm sure I asked, but can't remember what they said.



Good luck with your friends, hope I was helpful. Dont be afraid to go to church, I find studying other perspectives very interesting. Maybe you just plain dont wanna go, thats fine. Religion is also a really fun source of history and folklore.



......Sarah
Where I live, in Sweden, atheism is the most common "religion" (well, i know it's not a religion, but you get it). Most of the religious people are immigrants, and they accept the fact that most of us don't believe in God, and most of the Swedish ppl accept the immigrant's religion. I'm so happy that we can speak openly of religion here. It must be very hard living with crazy christian people, lol.
  • mini countryman
  • battlefield 3 forums
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment