Sunday, February 12, 2012

What percent goes to artist? of book?

I'm putting together a poetry/short writings book right now, and self-publishing it with Lulu. I have "hired" my friend Kate to be the photographer for it. I'm hoping to get it into local and maybe unlocal Christian bookstores, which is my goal, but if it doesn't make it, that's ok!



ANYWHO,

I just wanted to ask, if I do decide to sell the book, which will be about $9.00CDN for a 55pg great quality softcover, what per cent of the money goes to Kate, the photographer? I wrote all the poems from scratch, and Kate is going to take all the photos for the book.



I'm thinking of, of course, doing the front and back cover with picture(s), and then doing every other page or so with pics representing the poem on the corresponding page. So that would be about 25 pictures in all.What percent goes to artist? of book?
generally, if you hire a photographer, it is a work for hire not a "co-author" so you would pay a flat fee. You'll need some kind of contract to purchase all rights to the pictures (although, you will still have to credit her for the work). She would not, then, have any part of the costs or profits.



If she's going to be a kind of coauthor, you'll still need a contract of some kind and an agreeable split of the costs and profits.



What percent goes to artist? of book?
Because she's your friend you should discuss her and be able to give each some ideas without having fistycuffs. Depends on how good her photos are too i suppose, and how much time and effort she put into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment