Saturday, February 18, 2012

Has religion destroyed a particular relationship with one of your family members?

Mine is between me and my grandmother. I never go to chruch, I'm atheist. She knew I wasn't the religious sort but not a flat out atheist and before about 5 years ago she just accepted that... but recently she's been hounding me EVERY DAY about not going to church. It's very annoying that she's being so pushy. We used to have fun together - like going to the mall and the bookstore and out to dinner, but now she's just in her room all day watching the christian tv channel. My grandfather had to stop her in the morning when she would BLAST the christian tv station at 6am just so it would fill the whole house with 'the word' .... when i'm still trying to sleep. I mean that's so inconsiderate isn't it? We actually don't speak anymore because she yelled at me while I was watching national geographic... yes really *sigh*. It's been a year now and while we live under the same roof, we do not speak. Christianity destroyed my grandmother (she's not terminally ill at all so there's not 'oh dang i better start praying' thing going on... she's just been indoctrinated)... I'm sad about it and wish christianity never existed.



What about you, has religion destroyed one of your family relationships? Mom, Dad, Siblings, etc?Has religion destroyed a particular relationship with one of your family members?
I wouldn't say "destroyed" but religion has caused rifts, certainly. My sister is an Evangelical Christian so at first she was trying to save everyone which was annoying. She's mellowed since. I converted to Judaism a few years ago and at first my mom didn't seem to care but now that I'm married (to a Jew) and have a baby it's a much more sensitive topic. She never mentions my Jewish holidays and if I bring them up she gets mad. However she is in my face around Xmas and Easter. This year I called her on Dec.26 and she said, "Oh! Happy-Day-After-Christmas!" If I don't say Merry Xmas to her she gets mad. I wish she would just accept my choice and be more comfortable with Jewish holidays. I certainly have nothing against Christianity! I just don't believe in it. We weren't raised with much religion at all so I sort of feel like my mom's anger is unfair but I do try to see her side.



That is sad about your grandmother. I hope it's a phase she is going through and it will pass.
Nope.



My fam is both Catholic and Mormon. I went through a long period of atheism, and now I'm converting to Judaism. My family loves me and supports me, and I don't think you can blame that **** on religion. People are always going to find something to fall out about, so long as one person is different from another.Has religion destroyed a particular relationship with one of your family members?
No, but it might if I don't keep my mouth shut. It's so tough when everyone thinks they're right and they want the best for everyone else.
No,as people are who they are you can force then not to be what you think they should be,as they will always be just who they are anyway,regardless if they are putting on an act for you,or you just stop talking to them etc,they will still be exactly who they are and were born to be. So,if you love them,accept them for who they are or loose yourselves to one another forever.Has religion destroyed a particular relationship with one of your family members?
No. I didnt shove my atheism on relatives, nor did I have everyone come to the living room and tell them I'm an atheist like a gay.



Your the oddball in the family, not them. you're the one that dumped 2 thousand years of family tradition to apparently fit in with your peers rather than be yourself and developed a morbid victim complex.



You're grandmother seems like a typical old woman. The older they get the more often they stay home and watch tv.



Stop being a bigot and making atheists look bad
My aunt is uncomfortably religious to the point of suffocation. She recently decided to join facebook, and found me and all of my siblings on there. I had never remembered her being this way, but she would only send us things regarding god and religion. She would send us messages telling us to look up this and that. She would give us all of this "proof" and we didn't know what to say to her. We aren't religious, I am not an atheist but I am not a church-going person. It just got so out of hand we started ignoring her. My older sister was bothered enough to block her. It's just unfortunate she has to make people so uncomfortable for something like this.
My mom for awhile kept trying to get me to see the other side of Christianity. I told her I had and it's just not for me. She kept telling me that not all Christians are crazy and I know that and what not but she kept insisting. She has finally left it alone now. She accepts it and we're slowly starting to build a relationship. (She was abusive). It's hard for me to do that but I can tell she's making an effort on her part and I can't stay angry forever.



Other than my mom no one has ever said anything. My whole family knows what a strong stance I take on anything I believe in or don't. And that I'm very opinionated and that I fight back. So, I don't think they even try. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment