Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Did I do the right thing?

Today, near the university bookstore, a group of 20-30 Christian people were singing and playing music, handing out flyers, asking trivia questions for Chipotle gift cards, etc.



Long story short, I was walking with some of my friends towards the library, and we decided to participate in a quick trivia game in order to win a free burrito. I lost the trivia question, but I got to know the host and talked to him a bit. Doesn't really matter, but he's a grad student studying sociology.



In any case, he found out we were Muslims and I was from Afghanistan. He thought it was interesting, so he asked me how I felt about what happened over the summer, when a large group of Korean Christians flew to Afghanistan in order to convert some people. He thought it was amazing, but I was quick to point out that their target group was being manipulated. I told him that I'd have no problem with proselytizers coming to a stabler, much more educated and wealthier Muslim country (if anything, such an activity would only make our faith stronger, not hurt it), but as it was, the poor and illiterate Afghans who were the target group of the Koreans were literally being handed money and other material goods in order to convert to Christianity. I told him two things: 1) It's kind of contradictory to buy people into faith 2) It's not being fair, and the Koreans were taking advantage of the poor Afghans.



All this time, this guy was explaining to me that my viewpoint was biased, but I said no, I'm actually not even arguing from a Muslim POV. I would condemn any such activity in all poor countries. Then, he told me that my secular position was too partial. Again, I said no, it's actually the least partial because I treat all proselytizers of all religions equally, in such a situation. Then he told me that I should accept Jesus Christ and baptize. He said to me: "Either Jesus lied, or he really is the son of God. You have a choice."



To which I said: "Sorry, your ultimatum means nothing to me." Then walked off.



Thoughts? Have you guys met people like this? The rest of the people were extremely nice and welcoming, but this particular dude... Meh.Did I do the right thing?
Responding to the Koreans "buying people into faith", I somehow doubt that was their purpose. They were probably just trying to help the poor, while also telling them about Jesus. Most Christians don't buy people into faith, they simply meet people's needs, which in turn shows the love of God.
Who cares what he thinksDid I do the right thing?
Being a Christian no I have not. When one has a strong belief it is still ok to question ones faith. I think what he was saying is Jesus Christ died for the sins of the world to allow those who accept Him to have fellowship with the Father. Since you have a strong belief in your religion why not read the Bible to see what it says. When you read the New Testament you either have to decide that Jesus was crazy or He is the Son of God. You should know that Jesus Christ knocks on the door of evey persons heart but not all will answer and the Bible clearly states that no one comes to the Father except by Jesus Christ. Many will be led astray from God's truth by satan are you one?
If the conversation went as you say it did, then I at least would have no problem with your responses. I would point out that one cannot "buy" someone into faith, at least in the Christian sense. All you can do is bribe someone to say they believe. God will judge the actual faith, and He's a lot harder to fool.



As to your tolerance of proselytizing: I don't know for certain, but I thought the Koran forbade proselytizing by non-Muslims. I know that it's forbidden under Sharia, and most strictly Muslim countries have and do make it illegal. If you have a moment, could you comment on that?Did I do the right thing?
im a Muslim Afghan too!

my best friends Jewish and she's from Israel.



At one point in december last year, i was walking to nandos (lol)

and a man came up to me and said "what would you do if i told you the messiah was walking on the earth today?"



and i said, "I wouldn't believe you, because there is still a while until that happens, in my religion, in our holy book it tells us what will happen when the end of the world is coming"



then i asked him what religion he was and he said he was christian.

then he asked me what my religion was and i said "i'm Muslim and proud"

and then I walked away not wanting to hear the reply.



People standing on streeets advertising a religion and forcing someone to convert is immoral.

People have a choice as to what they want to be.



and i agree, i have a korean christian friend, and koreans in my opinion aren't very friendly people.

they're very stuck up. it was not right of them to go to afghanistan and do that
You did do the right thing. You handled that situation really well. I am not a muslim, I am catholic. I understand based on experience that christians go two ways: 1. They try to open your eyes to a different side of religion and 2. They force it on you and get irate. The second IMO is not very Godly at all. You gave all the right responces and handled it the best anyone could have.
  • unique baby boy names
  • gas mileage
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment