Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Question Inspired by The Initiation Question?

If one was to agree - "If you don't belong to a Coven then you're not Wiccan" could it also be said that if you aren't baptized in a Church then you aren't Christian?



If I were born to Hindu parents but found The Holy Scriptures, say in a bookstore or a friend gave be a Bible, and I read the scriptures daily for a period of time until I came to the understanding that, yes, indeed Jesus Christ is The Messiah. I KNEW that he was "The Way" to salvation so I began following his teachings and changed my life so that my words were reflected in my actions however, for some reason I didn't join a Church - perhaps I couldn't find the "right" one or I just chose not to. One night I feel the need to dedicate my life to Christ so I pray privately to Him and devote myself to his mission. I pray for him to "read my heart" and see that I am sincere.



After that wouldn't I have the right to call myself Christian? Or would I be expected to call my religious practice "influenced by Christianity?"A Question Inspired by The Initiation Question?
As for the born again of the water, there is such a thing as self baptism. One only needs to write up a line or two and say something like "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, I am herby Baptized and Reborn unto Jesus". According to some Christian religions, everyone is a "teacher and preacher", therefore, it would be permissible to self-baptize or baptize your children. You would then, therefore, have the right to call yourself Christian. Think of it this way, many many years ago, when the good old USA was in it's Pioneer days, and before, there weren't that many people and what people there were, were scattered. Were they any less Christian if they were to dunk themselves in a river or pond or whatever and commit to following the Christian faith? I think not, it is what is in the heart and the commitment that makes you of your faith. Deity knows it's own, man is not Deity and can not say who is or who is not of a particular faith.....
Initiation in the Old Religion does not compare to baptism in Christianity. The black-white/either-or Cartesian dualism that shapes Christianity's worldview does not apply to the Craft. Lack of initiation does not mean one is not a witch.

Report Abuse

A Question Inspired by The Initiation Question?
AFAIK, most Protestants don't practice an initiatory religion. The only one that I know of is the Amish community where a ceremony is performed if you want to become a part of their community. There are some Protestant religions that require baptism, but most don't.



I can call myself a Catholic but without a confirmation rite, the Catholic Church wouldn't consider me a full member of their church.



If I wanted to convert to Judaism, I'd have to go through training and a few initiation rites. I could say that I practiced Judaism without them but the Jewish community wouldn't recognize me as a member of their community.



I could call myself a Mason because I like some of the tenets of Freemasonry. But since this organization is an initiatory group, without going through their initiation rites, I wouldn't actually BE a Mason.



Many groups and cultures through the years have been initiatory in nature. The question now is whether or not Wicca is an initiatory religion. I know that it was founded to be an initiatory religion. The intent was clear. So why do people want to change that? Why not create another non-initiatory religion?



Just cause I don't want to go through Freemasonry's initiation requirements doesn't mean that I should expect that organization to change to suit me. I'm perfectly capable of using the tenets that I like from them and creating my own separately-named group that's a better fit for me.



Isn't that what the Protestants did when they broke away from the Catholic Church? Protestants don't call themselves "Catholic" cause what they practice isn't Catholicism even though they're both Christian religions. They have different practices and beliefs and a name that clearly distinguishes them from the initiatory, Catholic religion that they broke away from.
Well...I think so.A Question Inspired by The Initiation Question?
I do think you need to be baptized into the Christian faith of your choice, in order to "truly" be Christian. It is a symbolic cleansing of your soul so that you can accept the Christ.

But that doesn't mean that you cannot follow a Christian tradition.
I am Wiccan. And I don't belong to a Coven. I don't believe this makes me any less Wiccan-it just means that I prefer to practice on my own.

I think that if you truly think that Christianity is right for you, then you have the right to call yourself a Christian. Religion, believe it or not, is a very personal experience. I don't believe that anyone can deny you of it. One thing is pretty sure- your God won't be angry at you for following Him.
John 3:3

Verily verily,I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom



5-Jesus answered, Verily verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he CANNOT enter into the kingdom of God.
You would be considered a Christian if you realized your sins and asked Jesus to forgive you. It is more than a dedication to Him. It is a turning away from your sin. You baptism doesn't save you, but you should want to be baptized to show your commitment to Him.
I think you would have as much right, if not more, to call yourself a Christian than many baptized people who call themselves Christian, but do not act accordingly.



There are many flavors of Christianity; I don't think baptism is a requirement for all of them.



Good luck, and try not to annoy people, as there is no more ardent preacher than the recently converted.
I guess it really matters who you ask. It's not required by all denominations of Christianity. Just depends on whose opinion you value. I couldn't hack people telling be about my relationship w/God, so i became a taoist. Before that i was Church of Christ, but i've tried Catholicism, Lutheranism, Methodism, Baptist and Unitarianism. It is a requirement for the above mentioned except Unitarianism.

bb

ted
That is very true, I have thought a lot about that question, since yesterday....I think that calling myself a Wiccan, even though i know so little is a way of saying "this is my belief , this is the path i am walking, this is how i aim to life my life"......The only thing that has stopped me from self dedicating or initiating myself is that i want to be sure i do it right. I do not wish to offend the god/dess with my mistakes. I am close though. And i feel i am already an initiated Wiccan in my heart.

So i guess its a personal choice....but perhaps some feel it should be called something else so that the distinction is made between a novice and some one more experienced? But that in itself is the beauty of Wicca, Do as ye will...

BB)o(

No comments:

Post a Comment